While it may seem easier to grab a premade frozen pancake or waffle or even a handy boxed mix off your grocer’s shelf, making your own homemade pancakes is not only more cost-effective but significantly healthier. Better yet, it still doesn’t take a whole lot of time.
You can, of course, choose any protein powder for this recipe, but if your goal is to limit (or eliminate) animal products, then there are now great plant protein options to make this a delicious vegan protein pancake recipe. Plant-based protein powders can contain various types of plant proteins
Coach Tim highlighted the benefits of including a plant-based protein such as Low Carb Plant in a recent article. Some of the reasons folks would opt for a plant-based option include (but are not limited to):
1. The most obvious reason is that you’re vegan or strictly vegetarian. While the lines are far from clear when it comes to the varying degrees of vegetarianism (some consume dairy, eggs, and/or fish), it can be even more challenging for folks who are exclusively plant-based eaters to get enough protein through whole-food sources (without overconsuming calories, carbs, and/or fats).
2. Many people are embracing a flexitarian diet, which emphasizes a plant-based diet.
3. Some people are looking for a dairy-free protein powder.
4. Some folks report a milk intolerance, which may actually be a protein sensitivity (e.g., casein), lactose intolerance, or sensitivity to FODMAPs.
5. Certain diets (like Paleo, Low FODMAP, and elimination diets) are dairy-free or restrict dairy.
6. Some people have concerns about artificial growth hormones and antibiotics that may be used on dairy cows.
7. Although lower in essential amino acids (including leucine), plant-based protein sources tend to be higher in certain amino acids, such as glycine and arginine, which have several important roles. Glycine, for example, promotes relaxation, stress management, detoxification, and healthy muscle function. Plus, it’s one of three amino acids needed to produce the energizing compound creatine, it is a crucial component of collagen, and it plays an important role in supporting a healthy digestive system.
8. Another reason someone may choose a vegan vs. whey protein powder is global sustainability. Plant-based foods require less water, land, and energy, pose less of an environmental burden, and lower the financial cost of food production.
With that being said, no matter why you landed on this vegan protein pancake recipe, I hope you enjoy it!
Vegan Protein Pancakes
Move over store-bought pancakes! This delicious option is healthier, more cost-effective, and just as quick and easy.
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ ripe banana peeled
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 scoop vanilla varamel low carb plant
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
Heat vegan butter or olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
Scoop even spoonfuls of pancake batter on pan and heat until golden brown on both sides.
Top with nuts, berries, or your favorite toppings.